Don't miss the special BONUS offer during our Beta-test period. The next 100 new Registered Users (from a unique IP address), to post at least five (5) piglix, will receive 1,000 extra sign-up points (eventually exchangeable for crypto-currency)!

* * * * *    Free Launch Promotions    * * * * *

  • Free Ads! if you are a small business with annual revenues of less than $1M - will place your ads free of charge for up to one year! ... read more

  • $2,000 in free prizes! is giving away ten (10) Meccano Erector sets, retail at $200 each, that build a motorized Ferris Wheel (or one of 22 other models) ... see details

Professional requirements for architects

Professional requirements for architects vary from place to place, but usually consist of three elements: a university degree or advanced education, a period of internship or training in an office, and examination for registration with a jurisdiction.

Professionals engaged in the design and supervision of construction projects prior to the late 19th century were not necessarily trained in a separate architecture program in an academic setting. Instead, they usually carried the title of Master Builder, or , after serving a number of years as an apprentice (such as Sir Christopher Wren). The formal study of architecture in academic institutions played a pivotal role in the development of the profession as a whole, serving as a focal point for advances in architectural technology and theory.

In Australia, the title of architect is legally limited to those registered through state and territory Architects Registration Boards. These boards are affiliated through the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (AACA). The AACA also conducts assessments for architects with overseas qualifications for the purposes of migration and/or registration as an architect in Australia. University Schools of Architecture are accredited by state and territory boards, based on a procedure jointly agreed by the AACA and the Australian Institute of Architects.

There are three key requirements for registration: a professional degree from an accredited school of architecture; at least two years of practical experience; and the completion of the architectural practice examination.

Architects may also be members of the Australian Institute of Architects (formerly the Royal Australian Institute of Architects), which is the professional organization. Members use the post-nominal letters RAIA.

All states and territories have legislation to govern the use of the title architect and make it an offence for anyone other than a registered architect to use the title. As exact requirements can vary, it is essential to check the relevant legislation in each State.

In Canada, architects are required to meet three common requirements for registration: education, experience, and examination. Educational requirements generally consist of an M.Arch. degree and are certified by the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB). For degreed candidates, the experience requirement is typically the Intern Architect Program (IAP). The provincial associations of architects, by the authority granted under their respective provincial Architects Act, require that Interns gain a minimum of 5,600 hours of work experience. The fundamental purpose of the pre-registration/licensing employment period is to ensure that the Intern is provided with sufficient experience to meet the standards of practical skill and level of competence required to engage in the practice of architecture. This experience is diversified into four main categories and 16 sub-categories, and must be completed working under the direct supervision of a registered architect. At present, all jurisdictions use the Architect Registration Examination (ARE), a series of seven computerized exams administered by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB). As well, all jurisdictions recognize the Examination for Architects in Canada (ExAC), administered by the Pan Canadian ExAC Committee. Upon completion of the educational requirements, IAP, and examinations, one can apply for registration/license with their respective provincial architectural institute. Architects must pay an annual fee and meet continuing education requirements to maintain their license to practice.

  • hold a M.Arch or Master's degree in Architecture, (the M.Arch solely doesn't allow to hold the "Architect Title" in France)
  • hold the "Capacitation for project management in its own name" certificate (HMONP, Habilitation à la Maîtrise d'Oeuvre en Nom Propre, in French)
  • being registered to the , the French institution that protects the architect title and profession.
  • have a Professional Liability insurance coverage
  • On completing an initial degree in architecture (usually three or four years, usually either a BA, BSc, or BArch) the candidate receives exemption from RIBA Part I. There then follows a period of a minimum of one year, which the candidate spends in an architect's office gaining work experience.
  • The candidate must then complete a post-graduate university course, usually two years, to receive either a graduate diploma (Dip Arch), Masters (MArch) or B(Arch). On completing that course, the candidate receives exemption from Part II of the RIBA process.
  • The candidate must then spend a further period of at least one year gaining experience before being allowed to take the RIBA Part III examination in Professional Practice and Management.


Don't forget! that as one of our early users, you are eligible to receive the 1,000 point bonus as soon as you have created five (5) acceptable piglix.