* * * * * Free piglix.com Launch Promotions * * * * *
$2,000 in free prizes! piglix.com is giving away ten (10) Meccano Erector sets, retail at $200 each, that build a motorized Ferris Wheel (or one of 22 other models) ... see details
Free Ads! if you are a business with annual revenues of less than $1M - piglix.com will place your ads free of charge for up to one year! ... read more
1896 in film
The following is an overview of the events of 1896 in film, including a list of films released and notable births.
- April - Edison and Armat's Vitascope is used to project motion pictures in public screenings in New York City.
- May 14 - Tsar Nicholas II of Russia is crowned in Moscow, the first coronation ever recorded in film.
- July 26 - "Vitascope Hall" opens on Canal Street, New Orleans, the first business devoted exclusively to showing motion pictures at a fixed location 
- October 19 - "Edisonia Hall" in Buffalo, New York, the first building constructed specifically for showing motion pictures. 
- In France, magician and filmmaker Georges Méliès begins experimenting with the new motion picture technology, developing early special effect techniques, including stop motion.
- The Pathé Frères film company is founded.
William Selig founds the Selig Polyscope Company in Chicago.
- Demeny-Gaumont work on a 60 mm format, first known as Biographe (unperforated), then Chronophotographe (perforated).
- Casimir Sivan and E. Dalphin create a 38 mm format.
Arab Cortege, Geneva, directed by Louis Lumière
Arrival Of A Train At La Ciotat, directed by Louis Lumière
Arrivée d'un train gare de Vincennes, currently presumed to be a lost film
L'Arroseur, most likely a lost film
- Baignade en mer
- Barnet Horse Fair
- Bateau-mouche sur la Seine
- Batteuse à vapeur
- Bébé et fillettes
- Le Bivouac
- Blackfriars Bridge
- Les Blanchisseuses
- Bois de Boulogne (Porte de Madrid)
- Bois de Boulogne (Touring Club)
- Boulevard des Italiens
The Boxing Kangaroo, directed by Birt Acres
- Boxing Match; or, Glove Contest
- Campement de bohémiens
The Cabbage Fairy, directed by Alice Guy-Blaché
Carmaux, Drawing Out The Coke, directed by Louis Lumière
Le cauchemar (A Nightmare), directed by Georges Méliès
Childish Quarrel, directed by Louis Lumière
Children Digging For Clams, directed by Louis Lumière
Dragoons Crossing The Saone, directed by Louis Lumière
Feeding The Doves, directed by William Heise
Gestoorde hengelaar, directed by M.H. Laddé
The Haunted Castle (Le Manoir du diable), directed by Georges Méliès
The Kiss, directed by William Heise, starring May Irwin and John Rice. First kiss on film. May be considered the first romantic film.
Lion, London Zoological Gardens, directed by Alexandre Promio
Loading A Boiler, directed by Louis Lumiere
McKinley at Home, Canton, Ohio, produced by the American Mutoscope and Biograph Company
A Morning Alarm, produced by Edison Studios.
New York: Broadway At Union Square, directed by Louis Lumiere
New York: Brooklyn Bridge, directed by Louis Lumiere
Poultry-Yard, directed by Louis Lumiere
Pompiers a Lyon, directed by Louis Lumiere
Promenade Of Ostriches, Paris Botanical Gardens, directed by Louis Lumiere
Snowball Fight, directed by Louis Lumiere
Serpentine Dance, directed by Louis Lumiere
Spelende kinderen, directed by M.H. Laddé
Up the River, directed by Unknown
The Vanishing Lady, directed by Georges Méliès
Zwemplaats voor Jongelingen te Amsterdam, directed by M.H. Laddé
- January 20
- April 8 – Einar Juhl, Danish actor (died 1982)
- April 26 – Ruut Tarmo, Estonian actor (died 1967)
- June 28 – Constance Binney, American actress, singer, dancer (died 1989)
- July 16 - Evelyn Preer, American actress, singer (died 1932)
- July 25 – Jack Perrin, American actor (died 1967)
- August 14 – Theodor Luts, Estonian film director, cinematographer (died 1980)
- August 18 – Jack Pickford, Canadian-born American actor (died 1933)
- August 30 – Raymond Massey, Canadian-born American actor (died 1983)
- October 6 – David Howard, American film director (died 1941)
- October 23 – Lilyan Tashman, American actress (died 1934)
- October 30 – Rex Cherryman, American actor (died 1928)
- December 10 – Torsten Bergström, Swedish actor and director (died 1948)
1,000 EXTRA POINTS!
Don't forget! that as one of our early users, you are eligible to receive the 1,000 point bonus as soon as you have created five (5) acceptable piglix.